21 September 2016

Ladies Horse Weekend

If you know me, you know I love horses. I think they are such beautiful creatures and I love everything about the process of horse riding - the grooming, saddling and yes, even shoveling poop! I have ridden sporadically throughout my life - I would have loved to ride more but it just never seemed to be a convenient thing and nobody close in my life has ever had horses.

My new and wonderful friend, Heidi, (we met at on the soccer field last fall!) is also a horse-lover and from the Mt. Vernon area. It seemed like fate when she told me she does a ladies horse weekend retreat at Lang's horse farm every year. It's two days and two nights of horse riding with about 20 other women (all levels of experience). I was so excited to sign up and my experience did not disappoint!

I came home exhausted, filthy and so.very.sore. I also came home grateful. Grateful for a new friendship (we're never too old to make new friends!) and for the experience, in general. I learned so much and have a whole new appreciation for the skill of horse riding. There is so much more that goes into it than I ever even knew.

I truly can't wait for next year.

I think it's so important for all of us parents, moms AND dads, to try to do things outside of our kids and families that feed our souls. It's so easy to get lost in parenting and life. This weekend was a nice reminder of the importance of that and I was super grateful for Sean's support and willingness to take care of our brood all weekend. He even took them to the fair?!?! He's the best!





No comments: